SMITE Season 2 and SMITE Wiki's skin[edit source]
Hello there. I'm not sure if you've paid attention to whats been going on with this game but there is a major update on its way that will change many, many things. One of these things in the UI, and the color scheme. What does this mean? That the wiki needs to be updated to match the new look.
I've been hoarding the images used on the UI from each version (they uploaded several WIPs of it on their test server.) to use them as reference, or even use them as elements on the wiki's skin, kind of like what Game widow made for Infinite Crisis'. I was hoping that you'd be able to help me on this. Beyond the fact that the skin will become "outdated" soon, I've also received some reports that the skin is too dark for some people. This would be the perfect oportunity to solve those issues.
The update is scheduled to be released in a week or so, andalso there will apparently be a contest of sorts hosted by Curse to get people to edit on the competitive scene section soon-ish, so having everything done before then would be ideal.
- Hello. We could definitely update the wiki's skin to match Season 2. Gamepedia has been doing some work on improving esports on various wikis too so I'll point out Smite wiki and what Hi-Rez is thinking of doing. --Sigil Baram (talk) 18:46, 9 February 2015 (UTC)
- I read that Curse as Hi-Rez... The people I was going to point it out to are the people who are doing the contest... *facepalm* --Sigil Baram (talk) 18:54, 9 February 2015 (UTC)
- Alright. Also sorry if you were summoned by someone else, but I really am starting to lose it a bit having to deal with so many "sudden" changes on my own (I'm resiliant, but not invulnerable), specially when its about things that I can't do (being stuck with things I can't do frustrates me to no end, but still still makes me feel bad to bother people so I usually just sit here unable to proceed.), and considering the last time I had tried contact you we didn't really make much progress beyond the Tournament brackets thing...
- And also sorry if I only brought this issue now, but there wasn't much that could be done before since they had been changing the UI constantly, and they only released the "final" version (it'll most likely change again before the actual release, but I doubt it'll be anything significat enough to require more delays.) two days ago.--Malvodion (talk) 19:08, 9 February 2015 (UTC)
- It's ok. I know I've been a bit slow to respond at times, sorry. I'm trying to organize things better on my end so that that doesn't happen anymore. This would probably be a good time to go through problems that you have that are outstanding, so that everything is caught up. I archived all the old conversations on my talk page because the thing had just gotten huge but I'll go through for things I missed and put a checklist up.
- I'm trying to track down the new skin/pallet but I'm not having much luck. Could you link me to that? --Sigil Baram (talk) 19:21, 9 February 2015 (UTC)
- Before I forget: In case you hadn't seen it yet, this is how it looks in game (the second screenshot is from a previous build, but its close enough.):  , and this image here is from a much older build but it might still be of use: . Also here is a .rar file with some of the parts used in the ui that I extracted from the game. 
- You mean as in, color codes based off the new ui? The new blue seems to be all shades from this blue: #1E6373 (even the semi-transparent areas are blue-ish, but its kind of hard to tell by just looking at them.). Beyond the blue menus and buttons, the other main color is this brown and darker/brighter variants of it: 7b5f3c (like with the blue, the transparent area of the login screen for example, also uses a transparent version of this color.).
- And thats pretty much it. The main idea of the update is not just to make it match with the new look but to also try to make the site a bit brighter (but we don't need to overdo it either, we wouldn't want to make anyone go blind). I was thinking on making a new background for the site to replace this "blackness + a zeus in the corner" background the got, this alone should brighten up the entire page (since its semi-transparent). I'm still not sure what it'll be though.--Malvodion (talk) 19:34, 9 February 2015 (UTC)
- I was looking at those UI files and the background for the dialogue boxes still looks on the dark side: . The color is #021018 or rgba(02,16,24,.94);. The top box on the right how little affect the background has on it. If we want the wiki to be lighter we might want to come up with a pallet that would work well. The color you suggest might be a bit too bright though (bottom box). I'll fiddle around with them for something towards the middle. --Sigil Baram (talk) 19:45, 10 February 2015 (UTC)
- Mmm... If the colors are too bright then maybe smilar colors would work (I highly doubt anyone will be checking if the site is using the exact same colors or not.), but choose whatever you think looks better.
- Also what do you think of using the starry sky + constelations background they are using in game? I have no taste whatsoever so I don't know if it'd look good or not, though I'm mostly fearing it might make the site look to dark still (though the sky texture isn't pure black like the current bg is, but dark blue.).--Malvodion (talk) 20:00, 10 February 2015 (UTC)
- Oh wow that background loaded and it already looks brighter. --Sigil Baram (talk) 21:46, 10 February 2015 (UTC)
What do you think of these colors? They look a lot different with the star background than they did on a black/white background (or maybe it is just me). --Sigil Baram (talk) 22:30, 10 February 2015 (UTC)
- I can't quite tell right now since i'm not on my regular pc, but it looks ok. There's still need to be a few additions to better differentiate things (the borders are missing, no? It doesn't look bad but i'm not sure if it'd fit with the "final" look. The buttons at the top and bottom are also hard to read.). There'd be a need to update the borders for the infoboxes and also for the headers, the ones used mostly on the front, but that'd be better to leave for the end, when everything is done.--Malvodion (talk) 22:50, 10 February 2015 (UTC)
- Alright, I'm on my regular pc now. Yes, it looks pretty nice, though it'd till be nice to have some brown (though I guess it could be done by using it on the headers template, the infoboxes, etc.), and maybe some of the actual UI elements implanted to it. Also tabber's skin would need some changes aswell (making it of the same blue and semi-transparent like the rest of the page, but keeping the borders might do the trick. I'm not sure what could be done about the tabs themselves and their "on"/"off" colors though.).
- Also there is one concern I got that I noticed not long ago (and forgot until now): Mobile view. There are a few things, like the god infoboxes that look wrong in mobile view (they look white, and also the link to the god's guide section was breaking the whole thing on mobile view, which is why I removed that section from it. That and the fact the section is pretty much dead at the moment.). Taking the chance and making some adjustments to make the wiki better/easier to read for those who lurk the site with their cellphones might be a good idea.--Malvodion (talk) 00:01, 11 February 2015 (UTC)
- I saw that you changed some of the colors in Common.css to match the new skin, thanks. I changed a few more things, like the brown/bronze borders on the main page are a bit lighter to match the border on the brown boxes on the new UI. I also made the infobox class have a transparent background to see how that would look. Unfortunately it is taking a while to show these changes because of CloudFlare's caching. --Sigil Baram (talk) 23:19, 11 February 2015 (UTC)
- Yeah, I tried to change the colors a bit to make those sections look a bit less out of place. The changes you've made haven't loaded up on my end just yet so I can't say anything about how they look. I made a small change to the tooltip popup just now, which was still showing the dark blue BG, but thats it.--Malvodion (talk) 00:35, 12 February 2015 (UTC)
- That reminds me: Do you have any clue why some of the item tooltips look corrupted on certain pages? For example, Apollo's build section seems to have issues displaying the 's tooltip. I tried deleting and restoring the item's page just in case, but it didn't do anything. Its been like that for several months now.--Malvodion (talk) 00:38, 12 February 2015 (UTC)
- Oh. Well, darn. Oh well, atleast it fixed now.
- Anyhow, the changes just poped up here, the frame looks nice. I'm not sure what would be better though: Using it for the main window, or using it for infoboxes and stuff (The second option would be similar to what you can find in game, with the blue main ui and background, brown important window overlays.). But do whatever it is you were planning or whatever you think may look better, I have pretty much no knownledge about this stuff so I can't do anything beyond propose and suggest things (and change colors I guess.).--Malvodion (talk) 06:11, 12 February 2015 (UTC)
- It looks like season 2 is live now so I'll look at the new UI more. I was having issues getting the public test to connect (wrong version error), so I didn't get to poke around too much before. You've already seen it, so you're probably right about what would work best. --Sigil Baram (talk) 18:43, 12 February 2015 (UTC)
- Yeah it went live the other day (which is why I was updating all the pages), and yes the test servers are only live when they need to test something and bring them down (they say "version mismatch") when they are done.
- I tried to see how these borders would look on a bunch of things, (ignoring the facts that it doesn't seem to obey the "width" style, which I pressume its intentional since it was probably just a test?) it doesn't look bad, but I only got to test it on the front page's sections. By the way: What else are you planning to implement? Or was that it?--Malvodion (talk) 22:42, 12 February 2015 (UTC)
- The game doesn't seem to use those brown borders in many places and seems to use the new blue borders in most places, so it's really a matter of taste where you'd think they would work well. What do you mean it doesn't obey the width style, though? Where were you trying to use it that it wasn't working? Some things act differently with width, like tables cells which treat width as a suggestion instead of a requirement, and this is a 14px border so it will add 28px to whatever width you set, though that behavior can be changed so that the width includes the boarder instead of the border being added on which is a lot more intuitive in a lot of cases (like the main page). --Sigil Baram (talk) 21:22, 16 February 2015 (UTC)
- I was planning on using it to replace the yellow borders/windows from the main page's and infoboxes. And I meant that when you tried to use it anywhere it'd compress itself due to the prefixed values. Without them it seems that it works just fine. I'll see what I can do with this later.--Malvodion (talk) 22:36, 16 February 2015 (UTC)
- If you want to use this for the infoboxes then the easiest way would probably be to update the current infobox style in Common.css rather editing each template. Where you thinking of using it for all infoboxes or just some? --Sigil Baram (talk) 23:19, 16 February 2015 (UTC)
- That would definitely be doable. It looks like the only issue that the storable class still gives black arrows when they should probably be blue. I could make some blue arrows for that and some of the other places that still have gray arrows, like the sidebar and the action menu. Were you thinking of coloring the background of headings/cells or just leaving it as a plain black background? It currently looks like the table below. --Sigil Baram (talk) 00:53, 17 February 2015 (UTC)
- Yes, that could work. And I'll leave it as plain background, its good enough like that.--Malvodion (talk) 02:47, 17 February 2015 (UTC)
- Meh, I think I'll keep the infoboxes as they are right now. Maybe I'll change the black + yellow sections to a different color since the game hasn't really used that color combination for tooltips since closed beta. Still not sure what it'll be though.--Malvodion (talk) 03:20, 17 February 2015 (UTC)
- I just noticed a problem with the current skin: The line under the headers clips into everything, and its very noticeable since the content tables and infoboxes are now semi transparent. You can tell in pages like Voice Guided System's (and even more noticeable if you use redirects lik VGS), and the tournament pages. Is there any way to make it so that it doesn't do that anymore?--Malvodion (talk) 19:23, 18 February 2015 (UTC)
- I pointed out the issue with the TimedMediaHandler player and it should be looked into. I looked at the overlapping headings and I saw it in some situations but it seemed rather specific based on the ads and which browser I'm in, but they seem to be working correctly most of the time? The only case where they would overlap that I found was in FireFox when I manually hid the atfmrec's (to right corner ad) content and then only the heading "What are Voice Commands/VGS?" overlapped the very top of the infobox, while the other heading stoped at the infobox as expected. It looks like an error in FireFox's collision detection where it thinks the heading should stop at atfmrec when it should actually stop a the infobox (screenshot). Are you seeing something worse than this? --Sigil Baram (talk) 21:27, 18 February 2015 (UTC)
The normal fix for this kind of thing would be setting overflow on the head to something besides the default, but it has no effect here, which leads me even more to believe this is a bug in FireFox's collision detection where it is checking that particular heading against the atfmrec but then doesn't check it against the infobox for whatever reason. Maybe it only checks against the first colliding element in the document order instead of all of them or something like that, since if I hide atfmrec completely, rather than just hiding its contents, FireFox will then stop that heading at the infobox as it should have been doing in the first place. --Sigil Baram (talk) 22:02, 18 February 2015 (UTC)
Mobile skin[edit source]
I've noticed an issue with the skin the wiki uses for the mobile version: It's nonexistant.
Since everyone seems so invested in "Smitepedia", I think it'd be a good idea to introduce some QoL improvements for mobile users, so that people can get info about the game and eSports with ease. Right now the infoboxes look white and unformated and most other elements aren't formated/optimized for that view. Like always, I'd like to do this but I have no clue how nor do I have a modern mobile device to really test it.--Malvodion (talk) 14:57, 5 June 2015 (UTC)
- I meant to go back and do this once the page was more finalized but forgot. A lot of the content on that page is fairly wide... For now I'll just make sure they have some sort of skin at least. --Sigil Baram (talk) 20:51, 5 June 2015 (UTC)
- Mobile.css was actually pretty empty for some reason. I must have done Smite back before I realized just how bad Mobile Frontend was. A lot of things all over the wiki should look better now. Still need to figure out some things for the Smitepedia page though, just because of how bad it can look on a phone (the featured league tabs in particular get smooshed and jumbled at low resolution). --Sigil Baram (talk) 21:26, 5 June 2015 (UTC)
Issues with template "Removed god infobox"[edit source]
Hello. I wanted to ask you about something. There is a template (Template:Removed god infobox) that has been giving me issues for a while now (or atleast it seems to be that template): When you try to submit any kind of changes to a page using the template when the page is using other templates within tabber tabs, it will have an internal error and won't save. Removing one of the tabbers allows you to submit the changes, but won't properly save those templates, showing a "UNIQ...QINU" issue instead. This issue used to happen before, If I had to guess (my knowledge is a tad limited here), whatever changes have been made to the system the wiki uses do not work well with this template. Do you know what the actual issue is, and how to fix it? I won't be able to finish my work until it's working again.--Malvodion (talk) 15:27, 16 June 2015 (UTC)
- The only error I saw in the template itself was an undefined SWM property, which I don't think would create issues like thing (it just assumes it is supposed to be a link). Which page are you trying to put the template on? Could be something else on the page or a combination of things. --Sigil Baram (talk) 20:15, 16 June 2015 (UTC)
- I was trying to move the information from This version of the Nox page into (and to replace) the Nox (Original) page, but every try would met me with the internal error message. But it looks like it's working now. Either that edit you made fixed it, or I have no clue what's happening to it.--Malvodion (talk) 20:34, 16 June 2015 (UTC)
- Odd... Maybe it was actually the undefined property, though that seems odd.
- Also, they revamped Nox? She needed it... badly... I remember building Attack Speed and auto-attack-procs on her just to fool around and not feeling like I had lost anything... and her AAs didn't even scale... I killed someone who was running away when they triggered her ult a couple weeks ago and was like "Woooooo I got a legit kill as Nox? And her ult actually did something for once?!?!". I had 2 kills from that match. Both were from people who somehow managed to killed themselves on her ult. The old Nox just didn't have enough damage to actually get killing blows. T.T --Sigil Baram (talk) 21:18, 16 June 2015 (UTC)